1) Compared to the south side rooms the northern rooms should be bigger and shorter in height by 1” to 3”. This is an important rule of Vastushastra.
2) Living room should be in the east (leaving the south-east corner) or in the north.However, it is more beneficial in the north.
3) The slope of the flooring of the living room should be in the east or in the north.
4) The door of the living room should not be in the south-east or the south-west direction. The eastern and the western doors are very auspicious for the living room.
5) The internal furniture, show cases and other heavy articles should be facing the east or in the north direction.
6) The sitting arrangement of the head of the family should be facing the east or in the north direction.
7) As far as possible T.V. should not be in the north-east or the south-west corner. It should be in the south-east corner. If it is in the north-west corner it is on for a long time, there by a lot of precious time is lost. If the T.V. is in the south-west corner frequent breakdown are expected.
8) The telephone should not be in the south-west or north-west corners. It should be in the east or in the south-east or in the north.
9) The Indian style sitting arrangement should be in the east, the west or the north
10) It is better if the portraits of the God or the water falls are hung in the north-east corner. Stuffed animals should be in the north-west corner.
11) The colour of the walls and the tiles used in this room should be white, yellow, blue or green. As far as possible it should not be red or black.
12) The fancy chandelier should not be at centre of the room. It should be slightly towards the west. The idea is that heavy gravitational force due to the heavy weight of the chandelier should not fall at Brahma’s place.
13) Portraits of birds, animals, women, weeping children, scenes from the wars etc. should not be displayed in the room.
14) Above any of the entrance doors on the inside of the room no photographs of any God should be displayed. Only the photograph or tile painting of the Lord Ganesh should be displayed above the entrance door on the outside.
15) Furniture of this room should not be circular, triangular, egg shaped, hexagonal or odd shapes. It should be square or rectangular.
16) Due to paucity of land, if the furniture is to be kept in the east or in the north direction, it should not be in direct contact with the flooring. It should be light and hollow and place on base 1 to 3 inches above the floor.
17) The ceiling of this room if slanting towards the east or the north is good (it is not essential).
18) There should be no outlet in the middle of the room.
19) The cooler should be in the west and not in the south-east section.
20) In the modern architecture the height of the living room is more up to double than that of the other rooms. There is no harm in doing so. However, the staircase should be in the south, the west or the south-west corner of the room. It should be rising up towards the south or the west direction.