In doing Vastu of any place , home, work place, building, factory, land or plot we try to harmonize the place with respect to the five basic elements called as Panchbhoota namely Air, Water, Fire, Earth and Space. We shall discuss about importance of each of this element and how well we can harmonize them to relieve a stressful life, bringing 3 P's viz peace, protection and prosperity in our lives.
WATER: Water bodies in north or east are considered good. As far as the flow of domestic water is concerned, it should be borne in mind and that such water should be drained out in North - East. Wells, tubewells, swimming pools etc. should all be in the North-East. The water from the toilets and bathrooms, too, should be drained out in the North- East. The North-East direction is always auspicious and suitable for water. There are sewer-systems in the cities. The Septic tanks or the flow of sewer systems should be towards North - West. The flow of rain or fresh water should be towards North-East.
FIRE: The direction of Fire is South-East. The Kitchen, fireplace, geysers etc. should be placed only in this direction. Alternatively these could be placed in North-West, because it is at 180 degree to South-East. The Vastu Fire Element One can take care of the South-East Corners of all rooms and aim for Hapiness in the family, Good Health, Sound Finances, and Nice Married Life. As South-East belongs to Agni he can create enough trouble for inmates. The South-East corner of every room should be taken care of it. One can keep Agni - Vastu Fire Element cheerful by having a spotlight or lantern in the South-East corner with light or burning flame pointing to the roof. One can have the Electrical gadgets like Television, VCR, Fridge, Computer, Fire-place, Microwaves, radio etc placed in South-East corner.
AIR: The air should enter the building from North -East. All the openings and media for air entry such as doors, windows, ventilators coolers, air-conditioners, verandahs, balconies etc. should be in this directions.
SPACE OR OPEN SKY: The open sky influences greatly. We can get the effect of terrestrial-energies uninterruptedly. But the buildings prove a barrier to the effects of open sky. Therefore, the importance of roofs or lawns gets emphasized, but the Vastu shastra has refrained from deliberating in detail over it, because it is related chiefly to building construction and we will discuss only this aspect. Traditionally every house in India used to have an open space (Court Yard) in the center of the house. It provided the dwellers not only the open sky but also sunlight and cross-ventilation of air.
SHAPE OF PLOT: Favourites are regular shaped square or rectangular plota AND irregular shaped plots are normally avoided.
OBSTRUCTION: Obstruction like big trees, open well, pillars and posts before a arrow like roads are to be avoided.
IDEAL SITE: A building should be constructed preferably in a square plot the house should be constructed in the for house centre and in rectangular plot it should be nearer to construction south, south west and west sides preferably leaving more in a plot open space on north and east. "L" or Considered not suitable for house as corners will be "U" shaped missing and occupants will be missing opportunities.Quick Vaastu Shanti Tips
- When sitting for worship, keep your face towards North-West and sit in that corner to intake air from that direction.
- Cash boxes can be located in the room towards the North (treasury). But if the box is heavy (such as a safe, heavy almirah) then it should be kept in the Southwest corner and the door of the almirah should open towards the North.
- TVs and computers should ideally be placed in the Southeast corner of the living room or study room. They should not be placed in the Northeast corner or Southwest corner.
- Telephones can be placed in the Southeast or Northwest corner but not in the Southwest or Northeast.
- An aquarium with 9 gold fish and one black fish, in the north east corner/portion of the house or factory is very good.
- If the north-east area is untidy or unshapely, the well being of male issues is found to be precarious.
- One should sleep with his head pointing towards the South.
- Students should be facing east while studying, for Academic Excellence.
- If the kitchen is off the proper place, some member or the other is always found to be suffering from severe digestive disorder.
- Keep the Gas in the south east corner of the kitchen
- Person should face the east while cooking.
- Drinking water should be in the north east of the kitchen.
- While Taking meals the plate should be in South-East.
- The statue of Hanumanji should not be placed in South-East. It may create fire hazard.
- All the doors should open inside so that the energy may remain inside.
- The hinges of doors should be noiseless. If so. The hinges may be greased periodically.
- The doors should open towards right hand.
- Bed should not be put under a beam.
- There should not be five corners in the ceiling of a room.
- Efforts should be made a leave the rooms open on North-East side.
- While ascending the staircase, the face should be either towards the north or the east.
- The seat of the toilet should face North-South.
- No doors or windows should be provided on South-West side.
- Almirahs and beds should be set very close to the South - West wall and at a distance from the north - east wall.
- A house should not have paintings, which depicts depressing scenes, i.e. like an old woman crying, scenes of war or poverty. It should have picture of say, a sunrise, an ocean, mountains, flowers or laughing children.
- Tall trees are nowhere recommended close to the main building. For trees the south in itself is good and so is the west. No tree should be grown in the north and the east. The one at the north-east is the worst.
- Small decorative plants and shrubs may be grown in the north and the east. The height should not exceed, say, half a meter at the north-east increasing gradually to not more than 1.5 meter as one moves from the north-east to the north-west or to the south-east end.
- Except rose and a few medicinal ones, all thorny plants give rise to tensions in the environment. Plants exuding white sap should also be kept off. Lime and karonda etc. are OK in an orchard but not in residence or business premises.
- Amongst the beneficial plants, the best is Tulsi. It is commendable to keep at least one Tulsi plant in the north-east area of the premises, but its height should not exceed 1.5 meter.
- Growing creepers/climbers with support on the compound wall or a house wall is best avoided.
- Cactus should not be planted or kept in the house.
- In the South-West Corner of the house one should sleep pointing his head towards south.
- If north of any house is blocked it blocks prosperity.
- Water flowing/water fountain from north to east is very good.